OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:54:34 -0500
I spent the early morning hiking around this MetroPark south of Columbus.  It was still quite cold this morning, and most of the trails were pretty crusty and the wetlands were iced over.  Only Buzzardsroost Lake had any open water (and it was only a bit and completely covered in geese).  Highlights included

Snow Geese - 2 were parked in with the 300+ Canada horde at Buzzardroost Lake.  Is it just my impression, or are Snow Geese much more widespread with Canadas this winter?

Pileated Woodpeckers - 2+ scattered around the 5-Oaks trail, along with good numbers of the smaller, more expected woodpeckers

Yellow-rumped Warblers - 4 individuals scatterd at several locations.  Slate Run is a good winter location for them due to its healthy crop of poison ivy.

Sparrows - 2 Swamp and 4+ Tree were in the mix hiding around the feeders at the Wetlands parking lot.

Redwing - 1 male was bravely flying north.  I guess the rise in temperature gave him hope.

Purple Finch - 1 male was singing along the edge of the woods on the 5-Oaks trail.