OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 03:44:46 -0800
Normally scheduled 1 Jan, the Gypsum CBC (Sandusky Bay)
  was postponed to 3 Jan due to dire warmings of inclement
  weather. Turns out the weather was just fine Tuesday as the
  Shieldcastle's discovered covering the Port Clinton/Darby Marsh
  area that day. Yesterday, 8 deg temps with 12 mph winds
  had myself, Tom Bartlett, and Paul Sherwood out in
  sub-zero wind chills. But the big difference was that mostly open
  water in the marshes as well as offshore Tue was 95% frozen
  yesterday. The count managed 62 species plus 1 hybrid. I
  give the entire list below for those pursuing January lists.
  X- count week obs. of 7 species are from the Shieldcastles on Tue.
  Where they had 350 Bonaparte's Gulls off Catawba Tue (a good
  count for Jan in the Bay area), we had none yesterday. Nor does our
  Common Merganser total stand up to the 600 present Tue. Their
  2 Fox Sparrows were also locally uncommon. Our woodpecker,
  kinglet, creeper, warbler, and wren tallies from yesterday were
  noticeably depressed. Cardinal and White-throated Sparrow numbers
  were above average. Also in good numbers were Black-capped
  Chickadee and American Tree Sparrow. The American Coot was
  in a drainage canal of Pickerel Creek W.A. visible from Rt. 6. The
  bulk of the Snow Buntings were at Bayview. Castalia duck numbers
  were poor but for the Gadwall. I tacked on Sheryl Young's Common
  Redpoll ...

  Canada Goose     893
Mute Swan     18
Trumpeter Swan     1
Gadwall     88
American Wigeon     49
American Black Duck     76
American Black Duck x Mallard (hybrid)     1
Mallard     624
Northern Shoveler     57
Redhead     X
Lesser Scaup     X