OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Michele Skolmutch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michele Skolmutch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 10:56:46 -0500
Greetings all!

It's been a great morning here in western Holmes Co. to sit back with a cup of coffee and watch the birds.  It's especially nice when a COMMON REDPOLL decides to dine at your feeders. (I've been envious of all the postings! :-))  I caught the first glimpse at about 10:00 a.m. on the thistle feeder then he made his rounds to the other 3 sunflower feeders before disappearing. What a beautiful bird!

Also had  a possible Oregon Junco.  There was definitely a distinct difference between its dark hood and the rest of its body.  The sides seemed to have some light streaking like a sparrow.  I'm keeping a lookout for his return as well as doing a bit more studying before I make him a permanent addition to my list.

Here's a list of other sightings this morning so far:

Northern Cardinals – 6

Dark-eyed (slate-colored) Juncos – 9

Possible Oregon Junco – 1

Red-breasted Nuthatch – 2

White-breasted Nuthatch – 1

Red-bellied Woodpecker – 2

Downy Woodpecker – 2

Hairy Woodpecker – 1

Blue Jays – 2

Tufted Titmouse – 2

BC Chickadee – 1

American Goldfinch – 6 (the most I’ve had in over a month)

Common Redpoll – 1

Brown-headed Cowbird – 8

Song Sparrow – 1

American Tree Sparrow – 1

Mourning Dove - 1

White-throated Sparrow - 1

Happy birding all!

Michele Skolmutch, between Nashville & Glenmont, Holmes Co.