OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 10:46:05 -0500
Gene Stauffer wrote:

> I had found the lists Ken refers to, plus there is a pdf chart listing
> blocks with less than 20 species reported, including the number of
> species.
> Since I found several discrepancies, I assumed the species lists were not
> up
> to date, i.e. at least last year's data was not included.
>
> For example, the chart for blocks with 6-20 species includes 67A6 with 12
> species, but the list of species includes only 3. Similarly, for 67B6  the
> chart indicates 12 species, but only 9 are listed.

Many thanks to Gene for pointing this out.  I hadn't seen this particular
kind of discrepancy in the blocks that I'd checked online, but I had noticed
a few other glitches (for example, there's a report of Carolina Chickadee in
the block where I live, a few miles from the lakeshore, probably just an
error in data entry).  I asked the WBA coordinators about this kind of thing
and was told that the info on the web site right now is incomplete, and is
there just to give an idea of which blocks really need coverage.  I was
mistaken in saying that everything was updated through 2007 -- most of it
is, but apparently not quite all of it yet.  Still, it gives a good general
idea of where there are opportunities for birders.  I'm told that all of the
original source data is on file, and that everything will be vetted and
double-checked and triple-checked against original data after this January's
fieldwork is over.  So I hope that Gene and other birders won't be put off
from contributing information to the Atlas.  The coordinators are eager to
have any reports of errors or discrepancies in the data, as well as new
information from this year.

Kenn Kaufman
Rocky Ridge, Ohio