OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 03:17:08 -0800
I made a jaunt through northwestern Ohio yesterday, Sunday Jan. 06. I spent
about an hour from 8:45 AM to 9:45 AM along the Wabash Cannonball bike trail in
Oak Openings Metropark without seeing the previously reported Evening
Grosbeaks. While there, I met another birder who had been there since 7:50 AM
without seeing them. The homeowner mentioned he had no noticed them in "a
couple of days". The birds are apparently becoming less reliable here, but I
notice Saturday's Grand Rapids-Waterville CBC does report them.

The feeders at the Oak Openings nature center were hosting scores of Pine
Siskins and several Red-breasted Nuthatches along with the more common winter
birds.

I stopped by the home of Linda Houshower in Bluffton and immediately saw the
Rufous Hummingbird, which was actively feeding and perching in the garden. The
bird is much further advanced towards adult male plumage than when I first saw
him in November.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Gardner