OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:22:55 -0500
Hello Everyone,

As if there wasn't enough excitement from participating in all of Ohio's
great Christmas Bird Counts, the excitement can continue through January by
helping out with the Ohio Winter Bird Atlas.  As previously mentioned on
this list-serve, participating in the Winter Atlas is great fun.  If you're
birding in Ohio during January, you're automatically atlasing!

I just wanted to mention to everyone that if you're atlasing or planning on
it, you can take advantage of some of the mapping tools available at the
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas website to help organize a survey route or remotely
investigate habitat possibilities for your winter surveys.  The Ohio
Breeding Bird Atlas followed in the Winter Bird Atlas' footsteps by taking
advantage of the commercially available Ohio DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer to
organize a survey grid.  PLEASE NOTE:  there is one main difference between
the two project's survey grids.  For every 1 Winter Bird Atlas block there
are 6 Breeding Bird Atlas blocks.  For example, Winter Atlas Block 62A3
equals Breeding Bird Atlas block 62A3NW, 62A3NE, 62A3CW, 62A3CE, 62A3SW, and
62A3SE.

Besides drawing lines in your DeLorme, here are some other mapping options
available:

#1  Go to http://www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/blockmap/statemap.php to access
interactive maps of each Breeding Bird Atlas block.  You can simply combine
the 6 blocks printed out to make up the one Winter Atlas block.

#2  Individual breeding bird atlas blocks in topographic format are
available on OBBA2's data entry website
http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/OH/Main/.  Go to view Regions and Blocks and
navigate to your blocks of interest and you will be brought to a view
showing 6 OBBA2 blocks, which basically equals the 1 Winter Atlas block.  By
clicking on each of these 6 blocks, you can generate PDF topographic maps
that show considerable detail for the landscape.  Click "Block Map" once you
access each block's profile.  These maps can be printed easily and taken
into the field.

#3  You can also use Google Maps to create customizable maps that show
complete Winter Atlas blocks without having to combine 6 different maps from
OBBA2's blocks.  Here's a link to a map I quickly generated in Google.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=p&om=1&msa=0&msid=11833923897
1239494586.00044324c1d6df2b3d450&ll=40.442505,-81.066055&spn=0.181334,0.3213
5&z=12.

You do need to have a Google account to do this but it's just a matter of
creating a user account and you're good to go.  Email me offline and let me
know if you're interested in using Google Maps and I'll email you with more
details.

Also keep in mind, if you hear Great Horned Owls during your winter Atlas
activities, these observations could likely count as territorial records for
the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II.  Please let me know if you come across this
great species during your surveys.  Oh, and Rock Pigeons can be recorded for
OBBA2 any time of year!

Good birding!

Aaron Boone

Project Coordinator