OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2008 20:28:55 -0500
There was a good movement of birds due to a cold front moving through the
area.  There was a nice variety of waterfowl as well as gulls.  Best duck
was a single SURF SCOTER.  There were quite a few mergansers around.  The
mergansers were not really streaming by as they typically do.  many would
drop into the water for a while before getting up to fly again.  I was under
the impression they were having trouble flying in the strong winds.  Other
good birds were a RED-THROATED LOON and lesser black-backed gull.  The loon
landed briefly where I was able to get a decent look at it.  It was an
immature bird.

My feeders had a lot of the common birds today.  The WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL
stopped by at around 2:30 for about 15 minutes.  It fed at the feeders by
the garage.  The last couple times it has been here it has been at those
feeders.  I typically don't watch those feeders as much, so maybe it comes a
little more frequently that I am seeing it.  I have been seeing it about
once a day for very brief appearances.  I also had a single pine siskin.
There were no redpolls at the feeders, but four were seen in the alders
along the cliff.

Lakeshore Reservation, North Perry, Lake County
Date- January 1, 2008, Time- 730-1000
Weather- cloudy with snow, Wind- SW 25-35
Barometer- 29.65-29., Temperature- 35 34 F
Humidity- 79-80, Dew point- 26-25
Waves- 5-7 to 6-8 feet, Flight direction- west

Gadwall   2
American black duck   2
Mallard   17
Canvasback   5