OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
gary moon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
gary moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:08:22 -0500
Hi All,

      I had the opportunity today to spot 2 Snow Geese-1 White  and 1
Blue Morph at the man-made pond at Early Light and Galloway Rds. in
Galloway,Ohio.  Today was the day I was able to get a positive ID on
these two birds.  I was uncertain about whether the white morph was a
Ross's Goose but today's close inspection proved it to be a Snow
instead.    Among the Snow geese were numerous Canadian Geese and
about 3 pairs of Mallards.      Sunday afternoon at the Olentangy
Wetlands didn't yield much of interest. My main purpose at the
wetlands was to catch a glimpse of the Merlin which  has been spotted
recently at the adjacent cemetery.   I was on both sides of the river
but of to no avail.    I continued walking down the bike path along
the river when I came upon a few pairs of Mallards and a few Canadian
Geese in the flowing water.   Downstream, under and south of the
Dodridge Street bridge, there were approx. 150 + Canadian Geese just
floating peacefully in the river. Return hike back to my vehicle
yielded a plump,male northern cardinal  and a few unidentified
sparrows.