OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Scott Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2008 11:33:48 -0800
Greetings all,

The wife and I ventured south this AM to do some
birding at the Van Wert reservoirs (DeLorme 44B3 -
just south of Van Wert). This was the first time we
had been down there and was it worth it! Upon arriving
(~11:30 AM) at the northernmost of the two reservoirs
(i.e. the one nearest the Van Wert hospital) we were
greated with a decent sized flock of Canada Geese, in
and amongst them was a small group of four CACKLING
GEESE - a life bird for both of us! Here are the rough
numbers:

Canada Goose - XXX
CACKLING GOOSE - 4
Mallard - XX
American Black Duck ~15
American Wigeon - 2
Common Goldeneye - 2
Ring-billed Gull - 4

All of the above birds were seen on the aforementioned
reservoir. The other reservoir held no birds at first,
but before we left most everything took flight from
the little reservoir. The geese settled back down in
the same reservoir, but most of the ducks seemed to be
circling the south reservoir. Thanks for reading and
good luck to any birders on the search for these
little guys!

- Scott and Carrie Myers, Paulding, Ohio