OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2008 18:37:59 -0800
Greetings to all!

Glad to see that many of you were out there today working on those year lists, Jan. century lists, and big days! It is great to see all of the fantastic birds that folks are locating.

Our group focused on Ohio Bobolink territory rarities today (Wayne, Holmes, Stark, Tuscarawas counties, etc...) and then headed for the lake. We ended at Huron and we crashed in Oregon...poised to start the day bright and early at Oak Openings. We had a respectable day, but we were hampered a bit by seeking out rarities, lots of open water, horrendous winds, and blinding snow, which got worse as we drove further north. We ended the day with a respectable 53-56 species within our group.

Some of our more notable birds for the day were:

Barn Owl - Berlin
Wilson's Snipe - Berlin
Snow Bunting - Wellington

We also had a very nice THREE WARBLER DAY for January 1st, which we thought was exceptional! This included:

Cape May Warbler - Trail
Pine Warbler - Wooster
Yellow-rumped Warbler - Wooster

The Cape May has been coming to a feeder, near Trail, since before Thanksgiving and was a Wilmont CBC bird. The Pine Warbler is also a feeder bird that has been seen coming to feeders for well over a month. More information concerning these birds can be found on the Bobolink Rare Bird Alert which is sponsored by Time & Optics in Holmes County. The number for the Bobolink rare Bird Alert is: 330-763-5119. If you are heading to Amish country, it is a good source for sightings, since most of our Amish friends do not post to the server. Robert Hershberger, who maintains the site, updates it on a regular basis.

I will attempt to post as soon as possible tomorrow night on our day #2 findings, which should include info on Oak Openings, Maumee Bay, and the lake shore...east to Cleveland...as the weather allows.

Be careful tomorrow on your travels!

Good birding,

Jason

Jason S. Larson