OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Laura Dornan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:26:10 EST
Last night (1/10/08) we decided to try once again to determine how many
crows are using the roost located behind the Annin flag company in  Coshocton.  We
arrived at 4:30 PM and the trees already had quite a few  birds in them, but
not so many that we couldn't get a beginning count of  ~550.  As the birds
streamed in, we were able to count them, first in  groups of 10, then 50s, then
100s.  There was even a space of time when we  could only estimate groups of
1000.  Tim & I were each counting from 2  different directions but there were
also birds coming in from beyond the trees  that we could not see well enough to
count so the final count we came up with  has to be off by at least a few
thousand.  To make it an even greater  challenge, it was raining pretty steadly
and then a train came by and roused  them all up.  What a sight that was!  At
any rate, our final tally was  16,180.  And knowing that we missed several
thousand, that roost has to be  at least 20,000 crows strong.  So my question is,
does anyone know how this  roost compares to other crow roosts throughout the
state?  And how many  large roosts might be present?  How far away might these
birds be coming  from?

While getting permission to park in the back parking lot to count the  birds,
employees of the flag company expressed a great deal of interest in what  we
were doing, partly because they have been finding a significant number  of
dead crows on & around the lot.  They wondered whether there  was anyone to whom
this should be reported.  I informed them that as far as  I know, there is no
further testing being done on crows for West Nile virus, but  that I would
inquire on this list serve as to whether there is anyone interested  in this
information.

If anyone else is interested in checking out this crow roost, the flag co.
people are very cooperative; they just ask that you let them know you are there
 & why.  If the door is locked when you arrive, just ring the  buzzer--there
is always someone around.  Annin & Co. is located just  south of the
intersection of 3rd & Ivy in Coshocton.

Laura Dornan
Louisville
Stark Co.