OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Mary Krejci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Krejci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2008 07:43:18 -0800
Have tried to call in these sightings to the Crane Creek Widlife Research Station, but every time I do the "mailbox" if full, and there is no one answering phones.  So I will post it here and hope someone will add it to the count for eagle activities.  On Wed. Jan 9 at 11:30 AM, spotted 2 adult balds soaring and "talon contact acrobatics" at the east end of Medusa Marsh, close to the eastern nest sight.  Also spotted was a 2 yr. old bald in tree on south side of Rt. 2, south of Medusa Marsh.
  Thursday Jan. 10, at 1:00 PM, spotted 2 adult balds (pair) in trees near eastern nest in Medusa Marsh.  They were sitting in the south end of the stand of trees, resting "wing to wing".  No 2 year seen.
  Friday Jan. 11 at 10:30 AM  2year bald seen flying South over Rt. 2 just south of Medusa Marsh, same area as seen on Wednesday.
  Am driving to Cleveland again today (Saturday) in the afternoon, and tomorrow between 8-8:30 AM, will check area again for activity.  Hope the 2year will let the parents have some private time this year!

  My daughter, who lives in Brunswick, outside of Cleveland, reported seeing 2 Turkey Vultures fly over their place as she put her son on the schoolbus yesterday morning.  Brunswick is not far from Hinkley, where the "buzzards" make their infamous return every March 15th.  No wonder they are always on time....some don't leave!

  Mary Krejci
  Catawba Island