OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

Date:
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 01:31:29 -0500
    Well I really drug my feet on this bird. Its been being seen since January and I finally got around to seeing it. Good thing it stuck around or I would have felt pretty silly for waiting on such a fine rarity as a HOARY REDPOLL. I'm not even sure if it really made it to this listserve, sometimes the "Bobolink Area" is in its own little world over there. But I was out of town, so it was probably mentioned, oh and I do remember reading about it in the Rare-bird Alert reports Paul and Brad put out. Still, I had heard, and so I had no excuse. Anyways, you can call 330.763.5119 to get the Bobolink rare bird alert voicemail to hear about where it is and all that. One thing it leaves out is that you can walk down beside the barn to an overhang and get a good look at the back of the house where the feeders are. You also are allowed to drive down the long-ish drive way and park in front of the barn too. You may have to wait a little while for the bird to show up. When it does it seems to be loosely associating with a group of COMMON REDPOLLS so watch and listen. The HOARY, is only slightly paler, but noticably larger with a very stubby bill comparatively. Also it has much fainter flank streaking, but it does show some faint streaks on the undertail and the rump, even tho they are paler than the Common's. A spotting scope is a really good idea to get a good close study. The bird appears to be a Juvenile or perhaps a dingy looking female. I'll get some pictures up at somepoint and let yall know where I put them. Everything was momentarially startled when a juv. Northern Harrier flew by and thru the woods, a little out of place. The Bluebirds put on quite a show, with up to 12 hanging around at one time feeding on the PB feeder. It was a productive feeder with all of the following in attendance:

Hoary Redpoll - 1

Common Redpoll - 8

Am. Goldfinch

Junco

Chipping sparrows - first of year, 2 winter plum.

Am. Tree Sparrows

Song Sparrows

White-Crowned Sparrow

American Robin

Eastern Bluebird - 12

WB Nuthatches

Chickadees

Tufted Titmice

Carolina Wren

Northern Flicker

Hairy Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Red-bellied Woodpecker

N. Harrier

Am. Crows  (in the vicinity)

               I failed to relocate the reported Harris' Sparrow, but didn't try for very long, oh well, I guess it was seen on Sat. I also found a large flock of HORNED LARKS with a few LAPLAND LONGSPURS mixed in in a freshly spread field along rt. 654 or something like that in the southeast corner of the county. There are also some Snow Buntings in the area so keep your eyes peeled.

     Good birding, and better late than never,

        - Ben Warner