OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
Jessica Lowery <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jessica Lowery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 20:42:07 -0500
At Blendon woods today I had a crazy experience!
I was going out to the pond to put more food in the bird feeder, on the path was a mink - which I was happy to see. Then, as i am climbing over the fence with a bucket of bird seed a rabbit walked up to me about 5 or 6 feet way. I noticed that it only had one ear! The other ear was bit off and bleeding - then suddenly the mink re-appeared and killed it right in front of me! The rabbit let out those eerie rabbit screams and crows came circling around and down. The mink dragged it's carcass away.
I was walking back to the nature center spellbound! I was not paying attention and did not realize that there was a northern harrier sitting low - at chest-level right beside the path. I walked right up to it without knowing when at the last moment it burst off its perch and scared me to death! Needless to say my adrenaline was at an all-time high today!
I know this wasn't all about birds - but I thought I would share for my fellow Columbus-ites so you can get out to Blendon woods and see the minks! There are also muskrats on the pond almost every day, a snow goose, a mute swan,and a greyling goose.

-jessica-
Columbus, OH