OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
ben fambrough <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:57:39 -0500
                                  This post subtitled A Lorain County Farewell To Chris Spagnoli

It was my great pleasure to join Paula Lazano and Bob Finklestein in a farewell birding outing with Chris Spagnoli who returns to the cold tundra of Syracuse next week. We had a really nice day: excellent company, great weather and good birds...what more could one ask?

After a delicious breakfast we started out west and south. Along Oberlin road we birded a scrubby, overgrown orchard very active with birds with many winter and year round residents. Highlights from this spot included a modest flock of Cedar Waxwings, one Yellow-rumped Warbler and brief looks (Paula and myself) at a probable Common Redpoll, limited viewing time did not allow for complete confirmation and separation from the female House Finches in attendance. Also at this site was Yellow-shafted Flicker, a species we had again later in the day.

At the Lorian County Regional Airport we had Horned Larks (these at many stops), 3 or 4 light morph Rough-legged Hawks, Northern Harrier and two Meadow Larks.

At Oberlin Reservoir, on the tiny remaining patch of open water we had Ruddy Duck, Northern Pintail, Hooded Mergs, Redheads (with some courtship behavior), Coot, Lesser Scaup and Ring-necked Duck.

West Rd en route to Caley Reservation yielded American Tree Sparrows (many locations), Bluebirds (two locations) and Carolina Wren. At Caley we quietly enjoyed seeing eight Long-Eared Owls in the pines. And along Whitney Rd west of West Rd, we enjoyed an always awesome dark morph Rough-legged Hawk, a Northern Shrike (way to go Chris for getting this one while we were watching..) Snow Buntings and Horned Larks along the only thin band of spread manure we saw during the day.  We wrapped up the day with a stop at Carlisle Reservation and a "final" drive the length of the Rocky River metroparks.

Many other common residents made appearances here and there. It was a great day to be out and a really enjoyable send off for Chris. My only regret is that we didn't get to bird together more often. Enjoy Upstate NY, Chris.

Ben Fambrough
Cleveland Heights
Petit Soleil Catering
(216) 990-9162