OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
Tracy Morman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Morman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:53:22 -0500
As we were leaving the house on Saturday afternoon, I was surprised to see 2
male and 5 female Bobwhite feeding along my driveway. They were only about
100 yards from my feeders. I am hoping they will make it on up the hill and
find the cracked corn. These are the first quail I have seen around in 2 years.

Last Tuesday, during the ice and snow storms, I had a LOT of activity at the
feeders and I was fortunate to have a little time to sit down and watch the
show from time to time. Once I looked out and counted 7 male towhees
scattered about the yard along with a few females. Normally, I will only
have 2 or 3 at a time. The other good birds were a pair of Fox Sparrows and
a Red-Breasted Nuthatch. My total feeder list for the day was 21 species.
Number 21 was a lone Starling eating suet at dusk.

I noticed a couple of the goldfinches are starting to show a few yellow
feathers, and the titmice are starting to sing like they mean it in the
mornings. Spring can't be far off...

Tracy Morman
Scipio Township, Meigs Co.