OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:08:25 EST
Today Rick Oxley, his son Richard and I took advantage of a clear calendar
and went birding at Killdeer Plains WA and C112 in Wyandot County. Richard
earned his Eagle Scout Rank last year with a project that helped extend my
Prothonotary Warbler nest box trail at Hoover Reservoir. We mustered our way
through snow squalls, overcast skies and fields filled with water and had a very
good day for the conditions.

At Killdeer Plains we located Short-eared and Long-eared Owls, Northern
Harriers, Rough-legged Hawks, Eastern Meadowlarks and Horned Larks among others.
At C112 the Snow Buntings were almost as common as the snowflakes and were
accompanied by Horned Larks and some Lapland Longspurs. The gusty winds didn’t
help the birding but we stuck it out and found most of Rick and Richard’s
target  species for the day. Locating Short-eared Owls in the open during the day
allowed us to head home before the weather got worse.

Species we recorded for the trip include:
Canada Goose
Swans (sp-  they never lifted their heads for a positive ID)  [2]
American  Wigeon    [8]
American Black Duck
Mallard
Northern  Pintail    [23]