OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:40:37 -0800
Greetings---I did some birding way off the beaten path today.  In Mahoning Co:  ~30 wild turkeys in Poland Twp; small areas of open water at Evans L. held n. pintail, Am. wigeon, canvasback, 6 redheads, lesser scaups, ring-necked-duck, buffleheads, c. goldeneye, 5 ruddy ducks, Am. coots, and belted kingfisher.  The spillway at Pine L. had some open water w/ 11 n. shovelers and a coot there.  A flock of Canada geese at the south end had none of the local "giants".  Two had orange/yellow neck collars--I've never seen that combo in Ohio before.  Evidently (as others have already noted) waterfowl migration has begun.  Then on to Columbiana Co.  I went all the way to the Ohio River, which held almost no birds whatsoever.  The interior of the county had plenty of birds, though...and the scenery is awesome, especially around the Beaver Creek SP area.  I found a canvasback on tiny pond in St. Clair Twp.  Other finds in Columbiana Co. were:  red-shouldered hawks, red-bellied
 woodpeckers, horned larks, e bluebird, Am. robins, Carolina wren, Carolina chickadees, Am. tree sparrows, song sparrows, and white-throated sparrows.  A belted kingfisher perched over a clear, rocky stream was really cool.   Later, Craig