OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:46:02 -0800
I was at Sims Park on the lake in Euclid late in the morning today.  There was open water to the north very far out with hard to distinguish ducks-could only discern R.B. Mergansers and Goldeneye there.  To the northwest more open water and closer in could see clearly with a scope two dozen Scaup, 2 Canvasbacks, Goldeneye (only could discern about 40 both places, few Bufflehead, 2 Common Mergansers, quite a few Red-breasted Mergansers.

  Wildwood Park - had one Peregrine Falcon sitting up in the tree before the road turns to go over the bridge.

  After seeing no ducks at East 72nd St I went to Eastlake Power Plant.  I haven't been there much this winter.  Wasn't quite sure if you could go there legally since there is a gate and signs posted.  There were many fishermen there.  One said as long as the ice isn't up to the metal breakwall they don't say anything if you walk down there.  That was good enough for me.  There is a lot of open water and ducks.  To the northeast and east were many Redheads, Scaup, Common Goldeneye, Canvasback, Red-breasted Mergansers, few Common Mergansers, A. Black ducks, Coots and few G.B. Herons.  I probably missed others.  I did see what looked like an immature male SURF SCOTER far to the northeast.   Looked like a surf scoter bill - orange - no other obvious markings on bird.  Correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty certain on that.

  Nancy Anderson
  Richmond Hts, OH