OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Overacker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:02:18 -0500
I birded at Buck Creek State Park (Old Delorme 66A3) with some friends
this morning. In the creek below the dam we found several Buffleheads, 5
Canvasbacks, shovelers, Gadwalls, and a pair of American Wigeons. Then
we checked out the north end of the lake. The lake is frozen except for
the old creek channel at the north end. This causes the ducks and geese
to concentrate here and they are closer than when the lake is open
although a scope is still a big help. Among about 2000 Canada Geese we
picked out about 10 Greater White-fronted Geese. There were also several
species of ducks including Mallards, American Black Ducks, Northern
Pintails, Green-winged Teal, Common Goldeneyes, and Hooded Mergansers.
We also picked out one Horned Grebe.

Doug Overacker
Springfield, Ohio