OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
The Reiners <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Reiners <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:24:55 -0500
The snow and light ice crust from yesterday's precipitation made for a
potentially deadly combination to ground-foraging birds, forcing not only
Horned Larks, but also sparrows, cardinals, and others to the roadsides -
the only ice-free spots - in search of any available morsels.  Hundreds of
them adorned the roads, including some less-common species.  A numerous
group along London-Lancaster Rd. between Goodman and Richardson Roads (this
is south of Groveport) included at least 15-20 LAPLAND LONGSPURS, some males
of which were beginning to show breeding plumage.

Further south, a flock on Campbell Rd., near the intersection with Ward Rd.
(around the corner from Stages Pond S.N.P.), included 30-40 SNOW BUNTINGS
and 2 AMERICAN PIPITS.  Many other spots merited more scrutiny than I was
able to give, and I was not able to get out today to look for more.  Now
that the roads are cleared, it would be an optimal time for anyone wanting
to (safely) look for these birds.  Good Luck!

Eric Reiner

Ashville, Ohio