OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:17:16 -0500
Hello everyone,

March is almost upon us and before we realize it, lots of birds will
be in a breeding frenzy.  In thinking about the upcoming field season
(Year #3) for the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II, there are a few things
worth mentioning.

#1  If you still have Atlas data from 2006-2007, please consider
submitting these as soon as possible.

#2  If you are currently conducting surveys in specific blocks, please
consider finishing up those surveys as quickly as possible in the
coming year.  (Please consult the article in Issue #2 of the atlas
newsletter for ideas on efficiently surveying your blocks.  A copy can
be found on our website.)

#3  Since the first Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas culminated in a large
dataset on bird distribution, we will soon be in a position to assess
changes in statewide distributions of breeding birds that have taken
place over the last 20 years. Because priority blocks received all
survey effort in the mid-80s, we must ensure that they once again
receive adequate coverage. The first two years of the second Atlas
have seen survey efforts in 46% of all priority blocks. It is our hope
that this level of effort will increase significantly in 2008.

Approximately 400 priority blocks currently have ZERO survey effort.
Right now there are 600 birders currently registered as Atlas
volunteers.  This means that 2008 could see a massive dent in the
coverage gap!  We would like to encourage everyone to consider taking
on new surveys in one of these priority blocks that have yet to
receive any attention.  A quick scan of the state shows that 46
counties have more than half of their priority blocks with little or
no survey coverage (Adams, Allen, Ashtabula, Belmont, Brown,
Champaign, Crawford, Darke, Defiance, Fairfield, Fayette, Fulton,
Gallia, Guernsey, Hancock, Hardin, Harrison, Henry, Highland, Jackson,
Jefferson, Lawrence, Mahoning, Mercer, Miami, Monroe, Morrow, Noble,
Paulding, Pike, Preble, Putnam, Ross, Scioto, Seneca, Shelby, Stark,
Union, Van Wert, Vinton, Washington, Wayne, Williams, Wood, Wyandot).

To help direct survey efforts into these orphaned areas, we have
created lists of all priority blocks showing current effort level.
The three lists are sorted by County, Block ID, or Survey Effort.  To
access these PDFs, please visit
http://www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/PriorityBlocks.php

If you would like a hard copy of this list, please let us know and
we'll mail one immediately.  If you're new to the Ohio Breeding Bird
Atlas, join the fun today.  Atlasing is citizen science at its finest
and you can easily contribute with your every day birding efforts.
Get in touch with us and we'll get you some information to get
started.  Let's make Year 3 a banner year of data collection for
Ohio's nesting birds-good birding!

Aaron Boone
Project Coordinator - Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II
School of Environment & Natural Resources
The Ohio State University
210 Kottman Hall
2021 Coffey Road
Columbus, OH 43210-1085