OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2008 12:42:49 -0800
An unfortunate turn of events ...

  however, I would like to point out there appear
  to be a number of 2004 copyright 7th ed. on
  the shelves. I purchased two copies in Jan.,
  one as recently as 10 days ago from a truck
  stop (the other from Walmart). I imagine
  turnover at a large retailer to be fairly rapid,
  but perhaps less so at a highway truck stop.

  cheers

  Vic Fazio
  Shaker hts, OH

Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Ohio Atlasers,

Bottom line...the newest version of the Ohio DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer is NO
LONGER COMPATIBLE with the survey grid for either of Ohio's bird atlas
projects.

We managed to confirm that the new 2007 Copyright version of the Ohio
DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer has indeed changed format in more than one way.
First, the pagination is completely different. Second, the page grid that
DeLorme now uses isn't based off of USGS 7.5' topo quad maps (you'll see
more row and column labels). Since both Ohio breeding bird atlas & winter
atlas blocks were defined based on the USGS grid, it seemed only natural to
capitalize on the commercially available and widely used DeLorme Gazetteer
for Ohio.

Speaking on behalf of the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II project staff, our
block IDs WILL NOT change in accordance with the new DeLorme version. Our
plan at this point is to try to secure older versions of the Gazetteer from
the publisher as they return from distributors across the country. We're
hoping to get enough copies to last us through the remaining 3 years of the
project. I will continue to update everyone on further developments with
this.

In the mean time, feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.
We apologize for any inconveniences this may be causing.

Aaron Boone
Project Coordinator
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II
(614) 247-6458