OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 09:04:48 -0800
Greetings to all!

I should have posted this last night, but I was a bit beat, besides...it allowed a little extra time for people to add that extra owl to their January list.

Just to echo Bruce Glick's previous e-mail, I have been excited and delighted to see how the January 100 listing has grown over the past ten years or so. It adds a touch of extra enthusiasm to the beginning of the new year's listing and to the overall camaraderie of the birding community.

I was very pleased to see how many folks were able to breach the 100 mark this season. I also know of quite a few folks who set personal bests for the month and I do believe that we have a new record for the month, as well.

For those of you who are wondering... I did finally make it. As in several years past, it was down to the wire on the very last day. Graduate school takes a huge chunk of time out of your life and birding schedule. Fortunately, I had to make another journey to Columbus yesterday and I was able to add Hooded Merganser (#100) to my list. I got this stunning male at Blendon Woods Metropark, on Thoreau Pond. He was present with a nice assortment of waterfowl including 15 Redheads. After that, much relieved, I just decided to pad the list a bit at Blacklick Metropark with a Fox Sparrow (#101), which has been very cooperative in coming to the feeders. A final stop at Green Lawn Cemetery (again) resulted in another skunk on Brown Creeper, but I'll get him sooner or later.

I always find the dynamics of the January list fascinating. Which birds were the big misses? How many species did I see only once? How many were one shot out-of-season birds or ultra rarities?

This season I was able to make 100 species without my biggest miss: Brown Creeper. In addition, of my 101 species, 38 species were only seen on one occasion. I also did not have any of the four gallinaceous species or the three common owls. Some of rarities/stake-out birds/etc. included Cape May Warbler and Pine Warbler.

In terms of finding birds in January, the listserve and word-of-mouth are great sources, but do not forget about the hotlines and regional bird sites. I would also again point-out the Bobolink Rare Bird Alert in the heart of Amish Country. This site, maintained by Robert Hershberger, of Time & Optics fame, is an incredible source of info, especially for January listers. Many of these birds show-up at Amish/Mennonite feeders and property and these folks are more than willing to have birders stop by for a visit. The hotline usually lists all the details, explicit directions and if visitors are welcome. The number is: 330-763-5119. Some birds seen this January (some still being seen)and reported on the Bobolink have included: Northern Shrike (quite a few), Palm Warbler, Cape May Warbler, Pine Warbler, Gray Catbird, Brown Thrasher, Grasshopper Sparrow (2), Savannah Sparrow, N.S.W. Owl, Harris Sparrow and Chipping Sparrow, among others. Many of these birds have been coming to
 feeders for months! (*Birds in bold are still being seen as of last update). Again ,check out your local hotlines and websites!

Again, congratulations to everyone who scored 100 or more for January....and all of you who came close! :) I know of many of you that made it, but if you could send me an e-mail with your name and number for the month, I would appreciate it. I am working on a listing of sorts. Also, let me know if you do not mind your name being listed next to your number. Also, if you happened to get 120 or more species, would it be possible to send the list of what was seen.

Looking forward to next January!

Hope to see everyone out in the field soon.

Good birding,

Jason

Jason S. Larson
Graduate Student
Ohio University
Dept. of Plant and Environmental Biology
315 Porter Hall
Athens, Oh  45701
740-593-1126