OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
Mary Krejci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Krejci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2008 15:07:19 -0800
Sunday morning, at about 8:15 AM we drove over Sandusky Bay on our way to work in Cleveland.  Just past the end of the bridge, there are some shallow ponds on both the left and right sides of Route 2.  In the first pond area we counted about 10-12 blue herons standing in the freezing and melting water.  This is the first large group we have seen since December. Are they returning early, or were they sure enough of a solid food supply not to leave?

  As is our routine, driving home from Cleveland to Catawba Island we exited Route 2 WB at Route 6 and drove down Barrett Rd, through Medusa Marsh area.  We stopped and eyeballed the eagle nest at the far east end, and saw two white heads visible just above the edge of the nest.  They were difficult to sight at first, but then they moved around and it was easy to see both eagles.  Perhaps they are busy keeping eggs warm.  There was nothing else exciting happening in the marsh.  The waters are still completely frozen over.  But as we returned to Route 2 by Rt. 269 Bayview, we passed one of the ponds on the north side of the freeway, and were able to get a quick pic of a white egret crouching along the shoreline.

  Deciding to go a little further out of the way, we traveled over the Bay Bridge, and went to the old Bay Bridge, which is now used for a fishing pier and "wild life area".  Between the far end of the roadway and the RR bridge (still sporting some of the damaged train cars that blew into the bay last week) we observed an adult bald eagle on the ice with lunch.  We watched him fly over us and harrass a large flock of gulls, before flying off to the north.  What a treat!

  Mary Krejci