OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:18:01 -0500
With the temperature rising and the ground thawing, I hiked around several parks along Alum Creek, ranging from the Alum Creek bikepath in Columbus up to Sharon Woods.  Ponds away from the Creek, like Shrock Lake in Sharon Woods, are still frozen over, so the only waterfowl were geese and mallards in the Creek.  Very few interesting species (save for a sapsucker along Alum Creek at Tanager Woods), but 'common' birds were the stars today, including:

Robins - fair numbers everywhere, which was surprising given the near total lack of a berry crop.  Flocks were scratching through leaf litter both in Sharon Woods and along Alum Creek, so these may be recent arrivals from further south.

Chickadees - Carolinas were singing and squabbling in record numbers at every stop.  They seem to have sailed through the icy weather with hardly a hitch, thanks to large numbers of birdfeeders in these areas

Carolina Wrens - ditto for them, with singing birds at every stop.  I guess it now takes a prolonged freeze to knock out these hardy survivors.

Brown Creepers - 2-4, both along Alum Creek and in Sharon Woods.  Given that they were AWOL for most of January, I'd have to assume that these are recent arrivals from further south like the Robins.

Blue Jays - still good numbers everywhere, including 20 in Sharon Woods.

Horned Lark - 1 flying north over Sharon Woods.  Ah, the first migrant of 'Spring' :-).