OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:52:07 -0500
        Recommended is a fascinating, very accessible, and image-rich overview
of the history of the forests of the eastern US, introduced at
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/images.php3?img_id=17913
        First you'll see maps of forest cover in the east over the past 350
years. The full article, linked there, has other thought-provoking maps
of albedo (relative reflectivity of sunlight, with all its consequences
for weather, etc.) and percentage of old growth present at various
intervals back to 1650 AD.
        It's worth thinking about what we know or can surmise about the effect
of an invasive species (H. sapiens) on the native bird species of our
region based on these studies. You can see how much the forest cover in
your part of the state has changed over 350 years, and imagine how its
bird life has changed. What have been the costs in numbers and diversity
of native birds?  Native forests moderated weather, but suburbs and
agriculture encourage extreme weather. Old forests are very different
from new ones. I'm gonna stop here; readers of this article will have
many opportunities to think it over on their own. Check it out.
Bill Whan
Columbus