OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2008 15:43:45 EST
This afternoon Linda and I used our free time to check for activity at
Hoover Reservoir. The reservoir is open after the recent warm spell but some one
forgot to tell the waterfowl. Activity was slow all through the lower portion
of  the reservoir with the only decent results at Oxbow Road. At Oxbow we
located 2  Bald Eagles in the trees to the north of the causeway. In the first cove
on the  north there were 8 Hooded Mergansers and some Mallards. Out in the
large open  water area to the south of the causeway there were 6 Common
Mergansers, more  Hoodies and many Canada Geese. Near the back of Oxbow we located
some very cold  looking Great Blue Herons. If birds can show contempt for the
weather these guys  were doing it.

We next stopped at Mudhen Marsh as Linda has not seen any Red-headed
Woodpeckers thus far this year. Within a minute of taking up position to  see their
new territory they obliged and put on a show for her.

Charlie Bombaci

48)