OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
DAVID & LISA <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DAVID & LISA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2008 14:44:05 -0500
Dave Dyer and did I some birding around the Chillicothe area this morning. Lots of water everywhere, so ducks have many places to lurk. The Shawnee Square/Goldie Gunlock wet area did have 2-N.Pintail(male), and 3-Hooded Merg.(Male) to go with the Mallards and Geese.

We then went to checkout the Hopeton Site, North of Chillicothe. Still lots of Harriers, with 7 or 8 hunting there. And, 6-Short-eared Owls...which we flushed on a short walk thru a field . They did fly around some than went back to roost on the ground near the flush point. The fields are full of what I think are meadow voles? Or other mice, as we could see them running about, on our pass thru there..also, lots of Harrier/Owl pellets are easy to see in these fields.

4-Eastern Meadowlarks, and 2-Sav.Sparrows, were the only other birds of note..

Dave Hess
SVBNC
Chillicothe