OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:49:07 -0500
I was in Northwest Ohio over the last couple days and had a chance to do a
little birding.  Saturday was interesting.  A lot of birds were moving ahead
of the the front that passed through last night.  I saw a lot of horned
larks, American crows, and snow buntings migrating along the lakeshore
yesterday.  It seemed that horned larks were everywhere.  I also saw a
number of high flying Canada goose flocks that were heading north over the
lake.  At Metzger Marsh I saw a group of 4 red-tailed hawks in a small group
that appeared to be migrating.  I also had 1 killdeer.  I'd imagine its a
little surprised today.  I probably saw just under 1,000 snow buntings
yesterday.  A pretty lofty total until I was leaving the area this morning
and in a 4 mile stretch of roads in southwest Ottawa County I had in excess
of 5,000 snow buntings, including one flock of over 2,000 birds.  One flock
also had about 30 Lapland longspurs.  There were not many blackbirds or
ducks moving yesterday.  I did run into a few flocks of redheads,
ring-necked ducks, scaup, and northern pintail.

Some of the birds of note on Saturday was a ROSS'S GOOSE along Howard Road
in Lucas County.  Single CACKLING GOOSE and GREATER WHITE FRONTED GOOSE
along Krause Rod just west of Ottawa NWR.  Also in that area were 600-700
tundra swans.  There was a NORTHERN SHRIKE laong the causeway at Magee
Marsh.  At East Harbor there was a lesser black-backed gull and a large
black-backed gull with bright yellow legs.  More on this bird later.

Today, there were snow buntings and horned larks everywhere.  I saw very few
geese or swans in the air today.  I think this was due to the high wind.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081
(440) 259-2751