OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
Philip Chaon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Philip Chaon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:21:49 -0800
Hi all,

  Went out to the lake today for a few hours today. The wind and waves wee just brutal, but it did some interesting things with the birds. Namely there were Horned Lark and Snow Bunting everywhere. Burke Airport had a flock of nearly 500 Snow Buntings and several hundred Horned Larks. There were also Horned Larks picking along most of the roads near the lake downtown including I-90. Snow Buntings remained even more prevalent, I even saw them walking on sidewalks downtown along Chester, Carnegie and E.55th as well as several flying over my house in Cleveland Heights. In addition to these birds there was a Lapland Longspur in the mix at Burke and an American Pipit in the parking lot at the E.55th St. Marina. On the other hand almost all of the gulls of the past weeks are gone. Interestingly large numbers of Great Black-backed Gulls remained with at least a dozen at every spot of open water I looked at on the lake. A single Thayer's Gull was at E 72nd St. though it was hard to
 see, the spray from the lake created a nice layer of ice on my glasses. Good numbers of ducks around, though nothing unexpected - most were at Cleveland Public Power " The Whale Building" as that was the most sheltered harbor. Tomorrow might be a good day to look for something weird that has blown in, especially in some of the little sheltered harbors on the lake.

  Good Birding and Keep Warm,

  Phil Chaon