OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
Philip Chaon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Philip Chaon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2008 18:56:11 -0800
Hi all,

  Had the day off from school for "extreme cold", of course this was a cue for more birding.  The Cleveland lakefront had changed completely from yesterday afternoon. When I left at 4:30 pm yesterday there was not a sign of ice, today the lake was nearly completely frozen, probably 99%. Made a good number of stops probably 10 or 15 all told. The day mostly consisted of going to places where the lake was viewable and looking for small patches of open water. I would not reccomend chasing  these birds at their exact reported locations  tomorrow - many of the patches of open water froze as I was watching them.

  E 72nd. St.

  For some reason there was no hot water discharge today and absolutely no open water - not sure why no water was being let out.

  E 55th St. Marina

  Decent numbers of gulls on the east side and the farther out to the NW (by Quay 55).
  Lesser Black-backed Gull - 3
  Great Black-backed Gull - 50

  Cleveland Public Power (Whale Building)

  Iceland Gull - 1
  Glaucous Gull - 2
  Thayers Gull - 1
  Great Black-backed Gull - 30
  Bufflehead -15
  Canvasback- 21
  Lesser Scaup - 80
  Greater Scaup - 240
  Common Goldeneye -10
  Redhead-20

  Burke Lakefront Airport

  Horned Lark - 30
  Snow Bunting - 45
  American Kestrel - 2
  Rough-legged Hawk - 1 light morph

  Pier at E. 9th St. (behind Rock and Roll Hall of Fame)

  Glaucous Gull - 1 adult
  Iceland Gull - 1
  Lesser Black-backed Gull - 5
  Thayers Gull- 1 1st year
  Most of the usual ducks way out by the breakwall.

  Westerly Wastewater Treatment (large building right next to Edgewater)
  This is where the bulk of the gulls were, however most were very distant and would be easily viewable from Whiskey Island - unfortunatley the bridge to Whiskey Island is closed until April . Anyway if you follow the signs that point to Whiskey Island from Edgewater, there is a parkinglot in between a marina and a large buidling (Westerly Wastewater Treament) and a pier/breakwall that runs out from there.

  Glaucous Gull - 1
  Thayers Gull - 1 adult
  Lesser Black-backed Gull - 3

  Probably most interesting was the birds in a small patch of open water, maybe the size of a car.

  EARED GREBE - 1 winter plumaged bird in with all the ducks.
  Surf Scoter - 1
  Greater Scaup -  3
  Lesser Scaup -14
  Ruddy Duck - 8
  Bufflehead - 5
  Canvasback - 1

  Large numbers of ducks  and other waterfowl were out along the breakwall, very distant and some wonderful heat distortion (didn't expect that without - you know, heat).

  Common Goldeneye - 450
  Common Merganser - 100
  American Black Duck - 6
  Double-crested Cormorant - 4
  Pied-billed Grebe - 2
  Red-breasted Merganser - 40
  Scaup sp - 800 ish

  Unless E72nd starts putting out hot water soon my suggestion would be Eastlake or Avon as any ice from today will likely be gone. Also, got a glimpse of the the Cuyahoga as I was on SR 2, a lot of that looked open so that might another spot to look.

  Good Birding,

  Phil Chaon