OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
Phil Ware <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Ware <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:28:36 -0800
Greetings,

The one good thing about the partial thaw is that, on
these lakes at least, the waterfowl all end up in one
place.  Now, if those thawed spots weren't 75+ yards
out... :)  Had some gorgeous breeding plumage ramping
up in the Herrings and Com. Mergansers.

Location:     Eastwood Metropark
Common Goldeneye    25
Hooded Merganser    2
Great Blue Heron    31
American Kestrel    1
Ring-billed Gull    27
Herring Gull        12
Mourning Dove       3
Belted Kingfisher   1
Dark-eyed Junco     8

Location:     Huffman Metropark
Mallard     12
Hooded Merganser     2
Common Merganser     8
Great Horned Owl     1
Belted Kingfisher    1
Carolina Chickadee   2
Savannah Sparrow     1

The owl was roughly 10 yards off the road, just past
the first Huffman pulloff.  Would have had a
*fantastic* photo opp had it not flushed as a car with
an excruciatingly loud stereo passed.  Darn.  Ah,
well.

Peace,

Phil

Philip M. Ware