OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 15:42:31 EST

Today’s birding was an interesting combination of very different  situations.
On my way to Hogback Ridge Preservation Park in Delaware County I  took an
indirect route north which included Rome Corners Road where I caught a  flock of
83 Wild Turkeys out in the open between two wooded areas of cover.  After
pausing to enjoy the site I  continued to Hogback Ridge where Jackie Brown and I
had a morning walk for the  Ohio Young Birder’s Club. We began with the birds
coming into the feeders at the  Nature Center. Along with the usual birds
common at most feeders we had  Red-breasted Nuthatches continually coming to grab
a seed. We then took an  off-trail hike into habitat which was predominately
pine trees and we were  rewarded with two good observations of Barred Owls.
After  the program I headed south to the Hoover Nature Preserve to determine
if my nest  boxes sustained damage from the high winds earlier in the week. I
saw many trees  that had snapped in the high winds, but to my relief it
appears no nest boxes  were lost in the areas I checked. At Old Sunbury Road I
located two more Barred  Owls, Golden-crowned Kinglets, Brown Creepers and more
Red-breasted Nuthatches.  The water was mostly frozen except for a long open
channel too far out to tell  much without a spotting scope. There were a large
number of Canada Geese along  with some swans and ducks which I was unable to
identify. This will teach me to  keep a spotting scope in the car.
I next  did a quick loop along Miller-Paul Road where I located Horned Larks.
Without a  snow cover there were no Lapland Longspurs or Snow Buntings today.
My  final stop was at Mudhen Marsh. Here I was pleased to observe several
Red-headed  Woodpeckers.
Charlie Bombaci

48)