OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2008

From:
Tom Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:23:12 -0500
Today we conducted the monthly census on Kelleys Island.  Participants
included Tom Bartlett, Phil & Phyllis Corathers, and Sandy Tkach.  Weather
was a beautiful mid-winter day; temps 17-30 F, winds NW 5-10 mph, with
cloudy to party cloudy skies.  Time period was from 7:30 Am to noon.  The
eleven year average number of species on a February census is 39 species and
we had 40 species today.  The average total number of individuals is 4542
and today's total was 2354 which is well below average.  All of the
shoreline of the island is surrounded by ice with open pockets of water.
Most of these pockets were changing in size and location during the day.
One new species was added to the February list which now stands at 76
species.  That species was Eastern Bluebird.

27      Canada Goose
3       Gadwall
29      Greater Scaup
32      Bufflehead
522     Common Goldeneye
161     Common Merganser
7       Red-breasted Merganser
600+    Diving duck species?
9       Bald Eagle (6 adults, 3 immature)
1       Sharp-shinned Hawk
2       Red-tailed Hawk
3       Ring-billed Gull
211     Herring Gull