OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Howard Mueller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 19:12:36 EDT
This is a report on two quarry lakes in the Columbus metro area.  One  part
of the report dates to Thursday, the other today.  The quarry lakes  are the
one at the intersection of I-670 and US 33, the other is at the Quarry
apartments off of 5th Ave. at US 33.

On Thursday, the lake at 33/670 was a crowded mob of waterfowl - some 150 -
200 ducks and easily 50 gulls, together with a small number of geese.  The
gulls were out in the very center of the lake, and could not be distinguished
from my vantage point with 10x binoculars.  The ducks were divided between
buffleheads, ring-neckeds and scoups.  My estimate was about 40%  buffleheads,
something like 50 ring-neckeds, and the remainder scoups, species  undetermined
due to distance from shore.  There were also 10 pied-billed  greebs.

Today the Quarry lake off of 5th Ave. had a limited number of pairs of
buffleheads (7 pairs) doing some pretty serious chase behavior, a pair of
pied-billed greebs, six pairs of ring-neckeds, a pair of mallards and  a small number
of Canada geese, no more than eight at any point.  It also  had its resident
GBH.  However, late in the day, a massive number of  buffleheads made an
appearance.  My count was approximately 150 birds (with  an annoying habit of diving
that makes a "count" pretty problematic).  The  group was easily visible in a
scope, and was  made up entirely buffleheads, with no scaups or ring-necks
mixed  in.  The birds were on the lake for about 90 minutes before leaving.

The buffleheads made for a great show!

Howard Mueller

Phone: 415-987-3106  (cell)