OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:34:38 -0700
Hey all -

I began the morning at Sandy Ridge, where I counted
79(!) Wood Ducks, perhaps the largest concentration
I've ever encountered in the state.  Otherwise,
waterfowl variety was good, but numbers were down -
due to the ice that still covers most of the marshes.
169 Ring-necked Ducks were in the first impoundment on
the left.  Landbird highlights included a phoebe,
creeper, and 4 Red-headed Woodpeckers.

On to Oberlin Reservoir, where ice still covers 99.9%
of the surface.  There were 27 Tundra Swans on the ice
and lots of gulls, but nothing unusual among them.
About 50 assorted ducks were in the small patch of
open water.  At least one eagle was attending to the
nest.

The Long-eared Owl roost at Caley seems to have
dissipated for the year.  I saw no owls or evidence
thereof.  The back pond held a few waterfowl - 30
Ring-necks, 11 Redhead, 6 wigeon, and a couple
pintails.  A female harrier was also hunting in this
area.

The final stop was Wellington.  There are plenty of
waterfowl here, probably a thousand or so individuals.
 The birds are all in close, as the back half of the
lake remains ice-covered.  Again, nothing unusual -
just healthy numbers of Ruddy Ducks, scaup, Redhead,
Gadwall, coot, and 40 Horned Grebes.

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland