OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Bob Beason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Beason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 13:58:26 -0400
Although it was near freezing, the wind off the lake made it feel
colder. The edge of the ice is retreating closer to shore. I could
see ducks and gulls flying over the water but they were too far out
to identify. Around the marsh were Turkey Vultures, a flock of 14
Tundra Swans, Canada Geese, Green-winged Teal (> 50), Black Duck,
Mallard, Northern Pintail, Blue-winged Teal, American Wigeon (4),
Ruddy Duck (1 female), American Coot (25), Herring Gulls, Belted
Kingfisher (1 female), Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, Blue
jays, Black-capped Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, cardinals, Tree
Sparrow, Fox Sparrows (2), Song Sparrows, White-crowned Sparrows,
juncos, Common Grackles, Red-winged Blackbirds (many males singing
but no females around the marsh even though I've seen them around me
feeder at home). I've bolded the birds that I observed for the first
time this spring at the marsh.

Bob Beason
Huron, OH