OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Mary Anne Romito <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:56:12 -0400
Dear Ohio Birders:

March 30, 2008 1:00 - 4:00 PM held at Rocky River Nature Center

Rocky River Important Bird Area Celebration

Presented by Western Cuyahoga Audubon Society

Learn about citizen science projects in which you can participate in including
surveys of forest breeding birds, owls, plant, amphibians and more!  Family
crafts and short presentations on the hour will round out our celebration of the
Rocky River Important Bird Area.

This is year three of a continuing project. Come join us and have fun.  For
directions and other details see http://www.wcasohio.org/rocky_river_iba.htm

APRIL PROGRAM held at Rocky River Nature Center

Tuesday, April 1 at 7:30 PM

The Rocky River Important Bird Area project has been underway for two years.
Bird surveys began the first year with many WCAS volunteers, now vegetation
surveys, vernal pool monitoring and more has been happening to assess the health
of the Rocky River watershed's habitats.  Tom Romito, president of WCAS and
champion of the project, will update us on what has been found thus far, how
everyone in the Rocky River watershed can be involved AND plans for the 2008
season in the program, "The Rocky River: It's for the Birds".

Program directions at http://www.wcasohio.org/Programs.htm

APRIL FIELDTRIP

In April & May, Be sure to join Audubon Spring Bird Walks. See above. To see a
complete listing of all the walks click on this link. Sunday Audubon bird walks
<http://www.wcasohio.org/spring_bird_walks.htm> . The Spring Bird Walks will
occur on the last three Sundays in April and the first 3 Sundays in May.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 at 8:00 AM

Chris Grames, Chief of Natural Resources in Lorain County Metroparks and our own
Terri Martincic will be our field trip leaders.

Birds and Botany at Bacon Woods. Lorain County, OH. We will join the Native
Plant Society in a joint trip to Bacon Woods, for an amazing display of spring
wildflowers and migrating songbirds, including the Cerulean warbler. We'll have
the pleasure to pull a few garlic mustard invasives along the way. Pot luck
picnic afterwards, bring a dish to share.

For field trips directions and maps see http://www.wcasohio.org/Field_Trips.htm

WEEDERS IN THE WILD

April 13 and 27, 2008. WCAS's Weeders in the Wild will meet to pull alien
invasive plants. It's a great opportunity to get a little birding in too. The
events will take place at Wendtwood  and Bacon Woods, respectively. For more
details see http://www.wcasohio.org/weeders_in_the_wild.htm

Mary Anne Romito
www.wcasohio.org <http://www.wcasohio.org/>