OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:44:24 -0400
Today was spent inside, recalling yesterday's beautiful weather and some of
the birds I saw while "scoping out" my OBBA II blocks.  Nothing really
extraordinary, but some interesting bird behaviors.

After dropping my dog off at the groomer's near downtown Newark, I headed
out to Everett Park and the bike path, which are in my block 59D6CE.

Downy woodpecker - drumming

Female red-bellied woodpecker removing material from a nest cavity

Crow carrying sticks to what appeared to be the beginning of a nest.
Fascinating to watch.

Silent northern flicker, just sitting motionless

Eastern meadowlark, singing its heart out, between the Owens Corning
landfill and Cedar Hill Cemetery

21 great blue herons at the heron rookery

I expect to find rock pigeons nesting in downtown Newark, but haven't seen a
nest yet.  However, they spent the winter here, and I did see one flying
rapidly.

Although someone else "owns" it, I then stopped in Block 59D6NE, where I
saw:

Downy woodpeckers drumming

House sparrows nest building in what was probably intended as a martin house

No ducks other than the resident mallards

20+ American coots.  At least three stayed all winter here.

The belted kingfishers are quite noisy again.  I didn't see them all winter
despite frequent visits (T J Evans Park).

A Cooper's hawk - one of the pair that regularly visits my feeders?

Then, on the Utica to get my hair trimmed, after which I birded 59C6CE for a
couple of hours.

The eastern phoebe is back at the abandoned barn where I saw a pair feeding
young last year.

No signs of other nesters in the barn, though.

Downy and red-bellied woodpeckers drumming

Song sparrows everywhere, singing joyfully!  People ask me what my favorite
bird is - and I guess that depends on the time of year.  About the middle of
February, when the song sparrow outside my bedroom window begins his song,
he is my absolute favorite bird.

Mourning doves

Noisy blue jays.  When they make that much noise, I look hard for hawks or
owls, but didn't see either.  Still, I'd guess that something was up.

Several yellow-crowned kinglets.

A pair of white breasted nuthatches investigating potential nesting
cavities.  I saw one enter a cavity, then leave, then enter again.  They
moved on and I lost them.

Eastern bluebird

A pair of tufted titmice

Eastern towhees calling loudly - I only saw males, so I don't know whether
the females are on territory yet or not.

Visiting sparrows included white-throated, fox, dark-eyed juncos and a
surprising number of American tree sparrows still around.  The juncos and
white-throated gave occasional bursts of song.  My ears need tuned up for
spring, as I tried to make the singing juncos into chipping sparrows - not
yet.

A pair of Carolina wrens.

Sadly, the area where I heard and then spotted the sora last June now
features a brand new OIL WELL!  The ground has been disturbed and the
cattails are gone.  I imagine the sora won't be back.

I drove around some, looking particularly for large nests that might be
visible this time of year, but only found one promising one.

However, I did see three great egrets in the shallow marshy part of Smoots
Lake, which reminded me to stop and ask permission to check that area for
the OBBA II.  The property is co-owned by the heirs of an earlier owner, but
I expect we can work something out.  The person I talked to is quite
interested in birds, and has a bluebird trail.   She may even assist me with
the OBBA II in that area.  I asked her about kestrels.  She hasn't put out
any kestrel boxes, but a few years ago, a pair nested in their barn.  I see
kestrels regularly along that section of Route 13, and I'm wondering if they
have taken up residence in a barn that sees less human and/or mammalian
activity.

I can't wait for all this dreary weather to pass so we can get on with
spring migration!

Margaret Bowman

Licking Co., OH