OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Heather Nagy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Nagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2008 17:45:05 -0500
Wow!  We got two new yard birds today, after living in this house nine
years.  A northern harrier flew over while I was shoveling a foot of snow
from the driveway late this morning, and a rusty blackbird was under the
platform feeder a few minutes ago.  The rusty blackbird was a life bird for
my daughter.  The other highlight of the day was an adult Cooper's Hawk who
took a starling off the peanut feeder.  The spunky starling refused to give
up, and fought valiantly while pinned to the ground in deep snow under the
hawk's talons.  He fought for about 5 minutes, hawk repeatedly jumping up
and down with him.  Finally the unfortunate starling succumbed and was
consumed.  Later in the day a juvenile Cooper's perused the feeders for
quite awhile, but was eventually distracted by a stray cat walking through
the woods.  He followed the cat until he was out of our sight.  We also had
our first Red-winged Blackbird today!  Spring can't be far off!

Total yard list (22 species) for today:

N. Harrier -1

Cooper's Hawk - 3

A fox sparrow - he's been here about a week

Song sparrow -2

Cardinal - 14

Blue Jay - at least 2

White-breasted nuthatch -2