OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Jennifer Lenhart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer Lenhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:51:50 -0500
Hi there,

I've had a Cooper's Hawk hanging around my house in Lakewood since the fall.
She's been on my front porch railing, in my front yard trees, flying
overhead, and on the phone lines in the back. This morning, I looked out to
check the feeders, and there she was on the ground in the backyard eating
her breakfast. I watched her out my window (she was only about 15 feet away)
for about 10 minutes until she finished and took off. I went out to see what
she had been eating--all that was left was a little bit of blood, some
feathers, and some down. Looks like she might have been dining on a Junco or
a Titmouse---some gray feathers about two inches long. It was very cool to
see her at work so close up.

Cheers,
Jennifer