OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Bruce Lombardo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Lombardo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2008 11:35:23 -0500
At the Amish Bird Symposium in Adam's Co. yesterday, Dr. Geoff Hill showed a video of an ivory-billed woodpecker seen last year in a Florida panhandle swamp. Wow. It wasn't the best video because the bird was far away in dense swamp forest vegetation. However, you could clearly see that the bottom half of the wings were white when it was perched and the trailing edge of the wings were white when it flew. He didn't claim this video to be conclusive evidence, but it was good enough for me I am now a believer. Wow - I never thought I would see the day!! Forgive the deviation from strictly Ohio birds, but this was just too exciting not to write about.