OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 15:19:43 GMT
March 14, 2008

I arrived home from my latest business trip to southern California on Wednesday (3/12), landing at Port Columbus around 5:30 PM. During the taxiing to the gate I was looking out my port-side window of the commuter jet, when to my moderate surprise I saw a smallish immature hawk, all blotchy and mottled, perched on one of those short runway-edge light beacons. My initial reaction was "red-shouldered" although it was only a fleeting glimpse since the plane was really cruising along at that point. A minute or so later, as we turned around at the northeastern end of the airport field I saw another hawk flying low over the thawing ground, flap-flap-flap-flap-glide-flap-flap-flap-glide, etc. So, red-shouldered hawks are currently patrolling the airport for small rodents.

Back at home on the farm yesterday morning, Jane and I were taking our morning walk around the property. I always enjoy these daily circuits where we connect with the local wildlife and conditions. The groundwater aquifers are certainly fully charged from the winter snow and rain. Even the seeps and springs near the crest of Flint Ridge are gushing. The well will not run dry anytime soon.

As we were slipping and sliding through the mud and slushy snow, and down the incline into our deepest ravine, four deer bounded up the opposite slope. Two red-shouldered hawks were screaming at/to each other near our eastern property line. These birds have been around and calling since mid-January, and I suppose they are nesting somewhere although I haven't determined exactly where so far. The grape tangles and associated forest around the northeastern corner are full of the usual cardinal, woodpecker, and parid community. (A couple weeks ago we saw four woodpecker species there within thirty seconds: downy, hairy, red-bellied and pileated.)

Prompted by the recent Ohio-birds reports of arriving tree swallows, yesterday afternoon I was out in the fields cleaning out and straightening my "bluebird" boxes, which are usually tree swallow boxes. (Better late than never.) The local bluebirds have shown a distinct preference for natural cavities provided by the aforementioned woodpeckers. As I was walking between the boxes I have designated as numbers 3 and 1, I heard a strange double scream from the adjacent woods, kind of like a red-shouldered hawk, but not nearly as robust. I stopped to listen further. Fifteen seconds later there followed five rapidly succeeding squeals that sounded almost like a wounded rabbit, but not quite. Then the mockingbird flew across the field to the opposite forest edge. I usually have had an over-wintering mocker here, but I hadn't seen it this winter. This sighting is close to where he usually hangs out, so maybe I have just missed him. This is the earliest in the season I have ever heard him calling, assuming that was what I heard. He has to dust off his springtime repertoire. The hawk and rabbit thing has got to go.

Killdeer and red-winged blackbirds arrived here as soon as the thaw previous to last week's big snow (which I missed entirely) allowed them. On Monday, March 3rd a large flock of 300 or so red-wings swarmed around the farm. Likewise, killdeer were flying over the fields, loudly announcing, although somewhat prematurely, the arrival of spring.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County
Delorme 70 A1 ("classic" editions)