OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:53:18 EDT
Hello!

Yesterday afternoon, my wife and I drove up to Levi Yoder's residence at
2230 TR 415 in Holmes County near Trail, OH (DeLorme p. 51 D5) to observe
Redpolls at his thistle feeder.  After arriving around 3 PM, we observed 2  Common
Redpolls within 10 minutes.  One or two would occasionally visit the  feeder
over the next hour.  At about 4:45 PM, 6 Common Redpolls and the  Hoary Redpoll
arrived at the feeder, fed for a few minutes, then flew off not to  be seen
again by the time we left at 5:30 PM.  Levi indicated that they  aren't usually
seen at his feeder after 5 PM.

For those who have yet to observe these birds at Levi's residence, pay
careful attention in finding TR 415 off of Rte. 515 south from Trail as I passed
by the road twice before realizing it was a road, as it appeared to possibly be
 a driveway up to someone's house. You cannot see Levi's house from TR  415
but his long gravel drive will take you there.  The thistle feeder  hangs above
his deck behind his house and can be observed from the right side  (as you
face it) of his garage.  There is a notepad on top of a fuel tank  inside of the
garage that Levi asks that visitors sign.

On our way home after dinner at Der Dutchman in Walnut Creek, we briefly
stopped at Mohican State Park to try our luck at observing the Evening Grosbeaks
that have been present this winter at a residence east of the fire tower.
The owner was very gracious and one of the nicest people you'd meet!  He
indicated that 4 female Grosbeaks have been there this winter and are most  active
in the morning (he saw them yesterday morning).  The feeders  behind his house
cannot be seen from the road but can be seen if one walks into  the driveway
a bit.  His house (I believe it's light gray in color) is  one of two on the
south side of the road just east of the fire tower, and is the  easternmost of
the two houses.  He indicated that in years past, the  Grosbeaks have been
there into April before heading north.  You may be  greeted by one of at least
three English Mastiff's who despite their size and  somewhat intimidating
appearance, are big teddy bears!

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio