OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
AARON BOONE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AARON BOONE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:26:38 -0400
Hello Everyone,

Terri Martincic raises a very important point about the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II and many thanks to her for taking the time to bring this to everyone's attention.  I basically consider March 15th the "official" start date for the Atlas field season.  Terri listed 10 species of birds where simple observations constitute valuable data for the Atlas.

Of the 10 species on this list (Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Northern Cardinal, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Great Horned Owl, Barred Owl, Rock Pigeon, House Sparrow), I would consider all of them to be "backyard" birds.  In fact, we've all recently learned of some folks on this list-serve who have been recording Great Horned Owls exhibiting territorial behavior on their property.  My small yard in Columbus had countersinging Carolina Chickadees and Northern Cardinals as of this morning.

Many of you probably participated in the recent Great Backyard Bird Count sponsored by Cornell.  I did a quick check of this year's results and the data shows that an amazing 3,849 individual checklists were submitted online in just 4 days!  This represents a collosal data collecting force here in Ohio and you all can help the Atlas to significantly fill in many data gaps that we currently have in our database.

I think Ohio should have its own Great Backyard Atlasing Count.  I would like to challenge everyone to submit data for these 10 species observed this weekend (Saturday the 15th through Monday the 17th) to the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas.  Is it possible to record all 10 from now until Monday morning on your property?  Maybe you don't have much of a yard but do you have a favorite park that you frequently visit?  Participation will be super easy, I promise.  If you would like to participate, send me the following:

- your name,
- your street address, park name, or Atlas block ID
- which of the 10 species you observed in addition to any other species exhibiting breeding behavior
- date and approximate time you observed each species
- any specific breeding activities for each species (check online for a specific list of breeding evidence codes at www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/)

Send me your results by Tuesday evening (March 18th) and I'll report back sometime next week with a data synopsis.

Besides the above mentioned species with active safe dates, there are many other species of birds out there right now engaged in breeding activity regardless of what safe dates the Atlas defines.  As a reminder, safe dates only apply to those records where no direct breeding activity is being observed.  Red-tailed Hawks are probably sitting on eggs all over the state right now.  American Crows can probably be observed carrying sticks to some newly constructed nests.  Heard a Ruffed Grouse drumming recently?  These species have safe dates that don't start until at least a couple of weeks from now.  So despite what safe dates dictate, you can still get out there now and record valuable breeding bird data.

Let the fun begin!  I'll be very interested to see what everyone reports on Tuesday!  Good birding.

Aaron Boone
Project Coordinator
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II
(614) 247-6458