OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:39:17 EDT
Yesterday we observed 4 Merlin. 3 males and a female. We arrived early
(5:15) and did not see any in our first drive around. Then we observed the male  in
Section 85 (which is usually where the female is), then we went over to
Section 20/21 and the female was there (usually the male is here). Drove around
again and in Section 113 was the small male. Just as we were to leave an  adult
blue-gray male flew into Section 83.
It is getting near time for them to leave and head north to the breeding
grounds. Late date for Calvary Cemetery is March 31.
There were also 50 + Ring-billed Gulls, Sharp-shinned Hawk and a pair (soon
to be nesting at the cemetery) Red-tailed Hawks.
Lou Gardella
Lori  Brumbaugh