OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 11:42:54 -0800
Hey all -

With the car acting up, I scratched Hoary Redpoll from
the day's agenda and stayed near home.  First stop was
E. 72nd, where at 8 this morning, I was met by a
brutal nonstop wind from the north.  There were quite
a few ducks present (several hundred total - mostly
Canvasback, Redhead, scaup, and goldeneye), more than
I have seen here all winter, but very few gulls.
After freezing long enough to determine there was
northing odd among them, I headed inland to CVNP.

At Jaite, a NORTHERN SHRIKE was perched atop the
tallest tree out in the marsh.  The entire time I was
there, it was hanging out in the area of trees and
shrubs right along Riverview Rd.  Two Tundra Swans
also flew over here and a trio of Field Sparrows were
along the railroad tracks, with 15 or so Swamp
Sparrows in the frozen marsh.

Station Rd. yielded a creeper and a Oak Hill a G-c
Kinglet.

Also wanted to note that a MERLIN is once again
present on the Tri-C West campus in Parma, the 8th
straight winter according to my tabs.

Bird on -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland