OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:27:08 -0400
To add to Linnea's and Ruth's observations, I visited most of the accesses around Hoover this morning and the waterfowl diversity seems to be changing by the hour.  My observations included

Loons - only 1 Common (off Area P), so the larger number of yesterday seems over.

Dabbling Ducks - scattered flocks of Mallards, as well as the occasional small flock of wigeon, black ducks, or green-winged teal.  Definitely scarce.

Diving Ducks - loads of Ring-necked Ducks, with over 500+ for the morning.  340 were jammed into the small bay west of Galena, at the very north end of the reservoir.  Lesser Scaups were less numerous, with a few flocks totaling 120.  A handful of Ruddy Ducks were off Oxbow (3-4) and Walnut St. boat ramp (2).

Diving Ducks II - I missed out on any goldeneye, but there were a flock of 8 Bufflehead off the Walnut St. boat ramp.  No scoters of any variety.

Mergansers - Red-breasteds far outnumbered Hooded, with 220+ of the former compared to 40+ of the latter.  Sizeable flocks were north of Oxbow Island and north of the County Line Bridge.

Other waterfowl - 1-2 Pied-billed Grebes were at almost every stop, but no horned!  A few Coots were still hanging around Galena.

Gulls - large numbers of Ring-billed Gulls (900+) suggest that they're also on the move.  Big flocks were sitting on the water at Galena bay and off Area P, and you could watch small groups soar up over Galena and head north.

Raptors - small numbers of Turkey Vultures (perhaps 20) were scattered along the wooded eastern shore between Galena and Area P, but there was nothing else of note.

Landbirds - a small flock of 6-8 Tree Swallows swirled around the boardwalk at Galena, and redwings and grackles were conspicuous at most stops. No Phoebes were around Hoover, but I did find one at Inniswood metropark on my way home.