OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Jeffrey Spaulding <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeffrey Spaulding <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:58:47 -0700
This post is kinda late but as I don't own a computer...
  I went to Salt Fork State Park in Guernsey County on Saturday hoping to catch some migrating waterfowl action but was rather disappointed. I did spend some time watching an Osprey clean off the nesting platform by the main entrance, gather some new nesting material, and catch a small fish. After Salt Fork I went to Senecaville Lake with much better results. While driving around the backside of Senecaville Lake I found an imm. Tundra Swan in a field on SR 566 between SR 285 and TR 117.
  At Salt Fork:

  Canada Goose                                             Gadwall (4)
  Lesser Scaup (2)                                          Pied-billed Grebe
  Great Blue Heron                                          Black Vulture (2)
  Turkey Vulture                                              Osprey
  Bald Eagle                                                   Red-shouldered Hawk
  Red-tailed Hawk                                           Wild Turkey
  American Coot                                             Killdeer
  Ring-billed Gull                                             Mourning Dove
  Downy Woodpecker                                      Northern Flicker
  Eastern Phoebe                                            Blue Jay
  American Crow                                             Tree Swallow (3)
  Carolina Chickadee                                       Tufted Titmouse
  White-breasted Nuthatch                               American Robin
  Northern Mockingbird                                    European Starling
  American Tree Sparrow                               Fox Sparrow
  Song Sparrow                                              Northern Cardinal
  Dark-eyed Junco                                          Red-winged Blackbird
  Common Grackle                                         American Goldfinch
  House Sparrow

  Additional species at Senecaville Lake:

  Tundra Swan (1)                                          Mallard                                                        Canvasback                                                Redhead
  Ring-necked Duck                                       Bufflehead
  Hooded Merganser                                      Red-breasted Merganser
  Horned Grebe                                             Double-crested Cormorant
  Belted Kingfisher                                         Red-bellied Woodpecker
  Eastern Bluebird